Chicken salad is a standby for summertime lunches and dinners. It’s easy to make ahead, and it’s ready to put on sandwiches or beds of lettuce for a satisfying meal requiring no heat appliances!
This chicken salad feels very novel with the addition of curry powder. It adds so much flavor!
HOW TO MAKE CURRY CHICKEN SALAD
For the dressing you’ll need yogurt, white wine vinegar, honey, curry powder, salt and pepper.
Whisk it together and toss in cooked chicken, red onion, celery, raisins, and cashews. It is so easy!
ALL-YOGURT CHICKEN SALAD
While I really don’t have any issue with mayo, I think this gets so much flavor from the curry that it works really well with just yogurt. Plus, an all-yogurt chicken salad eases summertime worries of having the right temperature mayo.
It feels super fresh and light and is so easy to throw a big batch together.
You can eat it right after making it, but it’s better after it sits in the fridge for a couple hours. The dressing will thicken slightly and the flavors will intensify.
WHAT CHICKEN TO USE FOR CHICKEN SALAD
You can use light or dark meat here! I like to go with the crowd pleasing all white meat.
And because I find it maybe unreasonably irritating when recipes call for cooked chicken with no further direction, I wrote a whole post about 5 ways to cook chicken breasts. Any of those methods will work, but I typically go with the baked option.
WHAT TO DO WITH CHICKEN SALAD
- Sandwiches: Make delicious curry chicken salad sandwiches on sandwich bread, baguette, bagels, or croissants. Good all on its own or with added sliced tomatoes, lettuce, etc.
- Salads: Probably the easiest entree salad is a bed of lettuce with a scoop of chicken salad on top. Extra dressing optional.
- Bite-size appetizers: Serve on your favorite crackers or crostini for a snacky meal or appetizer.
- Veggie boats: Fill scooped-out cucumber, pitted avocado, celery stalks, or tomato wedges with chicken salad.
SERVE THIS WITH
I think so much of the beauty of chicken salad is that not a whole lot else is required for a complete meal. Sliced fruit, chips, and pickles (or these quick-pickled red onions) will get the job done.
For more sides, try:
Curry Chicken Salad
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups cooked, diced or shredded chicken
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup cashews, roughly chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vinegar, honey, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken, onion, celery, raisins, and cashews and toss to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste. Chill at least 1 hour prior to serving.