Husband loves tacos. He also loves pizza. Any time he sees either "tacos" or "pizza" on our weekly menu, he will say, "oh yeah" while continuously doing fist pumps. Naturally, it was only a matter of time until I combined the two and made a taco pizza. If you have people in your life who also have mad love for both tacos and pizza, and might be interested in a homemade pizza crust loaded with cheese and taco meat and all the best taco toppings, with a drizzle of lime crema, make this for them! You may just get to see a mini-celebration.
Homemade pizza crust loaded with cheese and spicy beef, topped with all the best taco fixings, and a drizzle of lime crema.
- 1 pizza crust (recipe follows)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 (1 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Juice of 1 lime
- Cilantro leaves
- 1 1/8 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
For the Pizza Crust:
- Combine the water, yeast, olive oil, and honey in a large mixing bowl. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes until it is slightly frothy. Add 2 1/2 cups flour and 2 teaspoons salt and stir until combined.
- Turn mixture out onto a clean, dry surface and begin to knead, adding the remaining 1/2 cup flour as necessary. Form the dough into a ball and return to the mixing bowl. Cover with a towel and leave to rise for 1-2 hours, until roughly doubled in size.
For the Pizza:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef for 8-10 minutes. Drain any excess fat. Add the packet of taco seasoning to the beef and cook for 1 minute. Add 1 cup of water to the skillet and let the mixture simmer for 4-5 minutes. The beef should be slightly more liquidy than if you were making regular tacos as this will be the "sauce" of the pizza. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Press the pizza dough out on a baking sheet as thin as you can make it. Sprinkle half of the shredded cheddar and half of the pepper jack cheese on top of the pizza crust. Top with the taco meat, and layer the rest of the shredded cheese on top of that. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbly. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly. Meanwhile, make the lime crema by whisking together the sour cream and lime juice in a small bowl.
- On top of the pizza, layer the shredded lettuce, diced tomato, red onion, and cilantro. Drizzle with the lime crema and serve immediately.