With all of the really good summer cucumbers, it is feeling like the right time to be eating a lot of this salad.
Salads where non-lettuce items get some time to shine are a favorite of mine. Not only because they automatically feel different and refreshing, but because they are generally way quicker to make.
Here, you just slice cucumbers and green onions and toss them in a vinegar-heavy dressing. It takes 5 minutes! I live for fresh, easy sides in the summer.
I will warn you that this salad is kind of the first step to a pickle obsession. It is much fresher and more salad-like than pickles, but like pickles, this is a little sweet, a little salty, and has a whole lot of vinegar punch. Also like pickles, it will go with all of your summer sandwiches and grilled meats.
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large English cucumber, sliced thin
- 2 green onions, sliced thin
- Whisk together vinegar, salt, sugar, and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Add cucumber and onions and toss to combine.
Adapted from Food and Wine.