For when you can’t decide if you want a red sauce or a cream sauce, rosa sauce is the perfect midpoint!
I love pureed sauces because they feel fancy while also being easy. This one uses canned tomatoes and is ready in under 45 minutes.
Onion and garlic and spices cook in olive oil and then simmer with tomatoes. Then everything is blended until smooth and cream and parmesan are stirred in for the silkiest of sauces!
It’s sort of like a vodka sauce (minus the vodka and long cook time), with lots of flavor from the oregano and garlic and onion and rich silkiness from the heavy cream and parmesan. It is so simple, and so good!
You can keep this as a really basic pasta dish of just noodles and sauce, or you can get wild and add in sautéed spinach, mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, chicken, etc. to it.
Weeknight Pasta Rosa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan, plus additional for toppping
- 1 pound noodles, prepared according to package directions
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium. Add the onion, garlic, 2 teaspoons oregano, salt, red pepper flakes, and black pepper. Cook until onions are softened and herbs are fragrant – about 5 minutes. Add entire contents of the canned diced tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook 20 minutes. Transfer to blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan over low heat and stir in heavy cream and remaining teaspoon oregano. Once heated through, add the parmesan cheese and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste.Stir in cooked pasta and serve with more parmesan.
And that’s the homemade sourdough we now eat with everything! If you want make your own you can read how here.