After the long haul of painting the front porch (an update is coming soon!), we've been deliberating what to tackle next, and landed on the downstairs bonus room.
This is feeling like the perfect project since:
- It's an independent project. So many things we're planning to do will snowball into other rooms or require lots more projects be done. And we are looking for small wins right now! We're confident that nothing here will spill over into other parts of the house or bigger jobs.
- It will have huge functional payoff in terms of general organization, daily use, and storage of frequently-used items that are currently homeless, floating around our house, and utterly lacking the dignity they deserve. It feels like so many things will fall into place once the bonus room gets a little TLC.
- It's time for the Fall 2021 One Room Challenge! I've been a long time observer of the ORC, and am excited to participate! I love the concept of doing a whole room because it will feel so good to have it DONE.
The bonus room is right off of our dining room. Since it has a closet, it is technically a bedroom, but since it's right in the hubbub of the house - between the dining room, kitchen, and living room - we will likely never use it as such.
The central location, however, does make it perfect for an office for me! I've never had a dedicated room for an office in any of our homes, which meant all of my camera stuff, calendars, sewing machine, etc. have all been stashed in closets, taken out when needed, then stashed back. Which is doable, but inconvenient for things I'm using regularly.
So the bonus room is getting turned into an office/home for all of the things I do. The main features will be:
- A wall-to-wall double desk with lots of storage. Planning to use cabinets (possibly IKEA?) to hold cameras, lenses, other electronics, printer, calendars, notebooks, stationary, sewing machine and all sewing paraphernalia, as well as general office supplies. One counter spot for computer stuff, and the other for sewing.
- A gift wrapping closet. Finally! A good home for my wrapping supplies. This might be the thing I'm most excited about in this room. Vertical wrapping paper storage is what my dreams are made of. That, AND ALWAYS BEING ABLE TO FIND THE TAPE.
- An oversized whiteboard. Would you laugh if I told you whiteboard brainstorming was one of my college highlights? There's just something about it that makes things make sense. Plus, whiteboards are fun for kids to draw on.
- Room for activities. There will be lots of usable floorspace here! Everything from gift wrapping to kids' crafts to fort building and whatever else comes up.
It will be so good to have this room up and running!