There is a lot of division in the world, but I think we can all agree on one thing: miniature versions of our favorite foods make them even more lovable.
Meatballs are a fun addition to the weekday dinner rotation. Especially mini ones. Bite-size foods are conducive to an ultra-efficient food delivery system where cutting is not needed, thus saving time, energy, and brainpower.
I am a big fan of meatballs because you can load ’em up with lots of flavor. These mini meatballs have curry powder and spicy red pepper flakes in them and they’re cooked in decadent coconut cream. I can never decide if I love them so much because of their size or because they are just GOOD.
(It’s probably because both.)
But anyway, these little guys get lightly browned and then simmered in a gingery-coconut sauce along with some stir fried veggies. Once everything is cooked, we stir in a lot of cilantro and a heavy squirt of lime. Then we pile it up on top of our favorite rice and top it with siracha and green onions and more cilantro!
This is like a fun, snappy comfort food that’s equally appropriate in the summer or winter. It feels substantial but not overly heavy. And there are mini meatballs! Basically, perfect in every way.
Mini Curry Turkey Meatballs in Coconut-Ginger Sauce
For the Mini Meatballs
- 1 (1.3 pound) package ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Curry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced thin on the diagonal
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- For serving: rice, lime wedges, cilantro, hot sauce
- In a large bowl, mix together the turkey, curry powder, ginger, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper with clean hands until combined. Roll into teaspoon-size balls.Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the sliced onion and carrot and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, until tender-crisp. Add ginger and garlic and cook 1 minute more. Push to perimeter of pan and place the prepared meatballs in a single layer at the center of the pan. Brown, undisturbed, for 2-3 minutes. Add coconut cream and salt and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer 20 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through.Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve over rice with lime wedges, chopped green onions, more cilantro, and hot sauce.