When thinking about summer potluck side dishes, my requirements are as follows:
- Easy to make ahead
- Fresh summer flavor galore
- No heating/cooling required before serving
- Not super expensive to make on the large scale
Here is an ideal summer side dish. It's an easy salad that is embodying all the summer freshness for me. Log this away for all of your potlucks and cookouts and summer events!
We are in prime tomato season and all I want is to eat salty tomatoes. There are green onions in this too, which sometimes seem way easier than chopping a regular onion, and definitely feel more approachable in their raw form. And lemon. And creamy white beans. WHY have I not been making beans the base of my salads? It is very good.
This sort of reminds me of a pasta salad. It could be a side dish or the main event with some grilled meat or a big hunk o' bread on the side. You can eat it on lettuce for a more traditional salad experience, you could eat it on its own, you could pack it in jars and take it for lunches during the week.
I should also tell you that this bean salad is WAY easier than making pasta salad because there's not even any cooking to do. And I like that this is a gluten free side dish option, unlike pasta salad. I'm not gluten free, but so many of our friends are, and I feel better when they have OPTIONS.
This also is good for: vegans, vegetarians, dairy-free folks.
White Bean Salad
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Toss together all ingredients in a medium bowl. Adjust seasoning to taste.Can be made up to a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
Adapted from Martha Stewart.
Leave a Reply