This is the easiest side dish that I want to eat ALL SUMMER LONG.
It's fresh and crunchy and summery and has so many of my grilled favorites all in one place!
Veggies are charred on the grill (in the easiest way!) then chopped and tossed in an easy lemon dressing. Add feta if you feel like it!
The easiest way to grill veggies
Dry grilling veggies is maybe my favorite way to do it! There is minimal prep beforehand, and no special grill apparatus is required. Just throw whole veggies and/or large hunks of veggies on the grill and cook until they're charred to your liking.
Since the grill is so hot, no oil is required to prevent sticking - once they're browned, they'll flip easily.
Chop them up once they're off the grill and cool enough to handle.
Veggie stand ins
You can make this with just about any veggies you have on hand.
Cleaning out your fridge? Make this.
Going to the farmer's market? Make this.
Have an overabundant zucchini plant? Make this.
The best veggies to grill
Here are some ideas of veggies I think would be equally delicious in this recipe:
- Poblano peppers
Just be sure to have roughly the same amount of veggies as is called for in the recipe.
How to eat it
My favorite thing about this salad is you can eat it in so many different ways, and it's good with lots of different types of meals.
You can eat it:
- As a side dish with your favorite grilled meat.
- As breakfast with eggs + toast, or even in a breakfast burrito.
- As a traditional salad on a bed of lettuce.
- As a main dish with a starchy side (good bread, couscous, etc.).
It's good hot, at room temperature, and even cold!
It might just be the most versatile of all salads ever.
Leftovers + Storage
This keeps extremely well in the fridge! I especially love this about it because it has a salad feel without the pressure to eat it all before it gets wilted and slimy (ew.).
Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
If you're a meal prepper (or want to be!), this would be a great thing to try because it keeps so well!
See how many different ways you can eat it before it's gone!
Grilled Veggie Salad
- 1.5 - 2 pounds zucchini and/or yellow squash, cut into 1-inch spears
- 1 bunch green onions (about 10)
- 2 medium bell peppers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice from about 1 lemon
- 2 ounces feta, crumbled (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Grill the peppers, onions and zucchini spears until charred to your liking on all sides - about 5-7 minutes on a hot grill. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.Once cool enough to handle, cut the veggies into bite size pieces, discarding the tops of the green onions and the stems of the peppers. Combine in a large bowl along with the olive oil, lemon juice, feta, salt, and pepper. Adjust seasoning to taste. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Leave a Reply