Sitting here thinking how we have come up with ways to make pizza out of just about everything and how there is no pizza that I dislike. Veggie pizza=good, regular pepperoni pizza=great, fruit pizza=VERY FESTIVE AND VERY GOOD.
Truly, my favorite 4th of July food. A winner in both the taste bud and patriotism categories. Sugar cookie crust, cream cheese frosting, all the fresh berries. I hoover this.
Sugar cookie crust is homemade here. Buying the tubes is my preferred method, but because Aldi doesn’t carry sugar cookie dough, we are making our own. It is not hard!
Cookie crust however you make it gets smeared with cream cheese frosting and topped with berries. Berries that have been tossed in a lemon glaze, which takes this slightly into tart territory. It’s like a festive, low-key dessert that’s sort of fancy and dressed to impress at the same time.
And also, while I very strongly LOVE the USA flag design of a lot of fruit pizzas, I don’t like having to decide whether I am a blueberry person or a strawberry person when eating. Here, they are all combined and difficult decision-making can be postponed.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.Combine flour and baking powder in a bowl and set aside. Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Gradually add dry ingredients and mix until the dough forms a ball. Turn out onto prepared baking sheet and press into a 12-inch circle roughly 1/4-inch thick. Bake 10-12 minutes, until cookie is golden around the edges. Cool completely.
- Beat together cream cheese and sugar on high speed until fluffy.In a large bowl, whisk together the jam and lemon juice. Add the berries and toss to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes.To assemble, spread the cream cheese over the cookie crust and top with the berries.