Any time the words "loaded" and "potato" are next to each other, my interest level is VERY HIGH.
Sour cream, bacon, scallion, and cheddar is such a satisfying combination! Here, they're all mixed together into a creamy dip and served with potato chips for an ultra-easy delivery system of our favorite potato toppings.
Can this be made ahead?
Yes! This is a very good make-ahead appetizer. I actually think it gets even better if you let it sit for at least a couple of hours in the fridge, but you can make this up to 3 days ahead. Be sure to store it in an airtight container, and set aside any toppings to sprinkle on right before serving.
What should I dip in this?
I need to tell you that I initially made this with just potato chips in mind as dippers. But since sampling extensively, I've realized that it's a real challenge for anything dipped in this to not be delicious.
So my standard answer is: A good, sturdy potato chip. This dip is THICK, so you want something that will be up for the task of scooping without breaking.
But also, you should dip a lot of other things in here, too. It's good with all kinds of crackers, and - dare I say? - could even work on a veggie tray.
Loaded Potato Chip Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup bacon crumbles (see note)
- 1/3 cup sliced scallion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- For topping: additional shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, and sliced scallion
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl. Adjust seasoning to taste. Top with additional shredded cheese, bacon, and green onion and serve with potato chips.