Rice crispy treats are the ultimate pantry dessert, and here they're doctored up with peanut butter and topped with melted butterscotch and chocolate chips!
They're a treat that I rarely make for myself because I HAVE ZERO SELF CONTROL WHEN IT COMES TO SCOTCHAROOS.
They take 15 minutes to make and are so delicious! The amount of effort required is outweighed a thousandfold by how addictive they are.
Here is what all of my dreams are made of:
The combination of peanut butter + butterscotch + semisweet chocolate seems kind of wild. Too much of a good thing? It's not. It's just right. In every way. Trust me.
MAKING SCOTCHAROOS WITH MARSHMALLOWS
While most scotcharoo recipes are made with a base of corn syrup and sugar, I like to stick with the standard formula of marshmallows and butter. Corn syrup runs the risk of becoming hard if cooked too long, and I love the fluffy texture of rice crispies with marshmallows!
AN EASY WAY TO GET RICE CRISPIES FLAT
My parents signed me up for a cooking class when I was in elementary school, and one of the first things we made was rice crispy squares. To level out the rice mixture in the pan, the instructor had us cover it with a piece of plastic wrap and tamp it down with our hands. When you're done, the plastic wrap peels right off. It works so well! I use it to this day for rice crispies, cookie bars (like these), etc.
HOW MANY SCOTCHAROOS TO MAKE
This recipe is scaled down from a 9x13-inch pan yield to an 8x8-inch. It will give you about 16 scotcharoo squares. You can easily double it if you'd like more and use a 9x13-inch pan. I opt for a mere 16 because, again, I really have zero self control where butterscotch is involved.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 (10 ounce) bag marshmallows
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups rice cereal
- 2/3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Grease an 8x8-inch pan.Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows and heat until melted, stirring frequently. Stir in the peanut butter. Add the rice crispies and stir to coat. Turn mixture out into the prepared pan. Top with plastic wrap and use your hands to tamp the mixture down until spread evenly. Remove plastic wrap. Combine the butterscotch and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30-second increments - stirring between each - until almost completely melted. Stir vigorously to melt the remaining chips. Spread over rice crispy mixture. Cut into squares once chocolate has solidified. Can be served cold or at room temperature.
Leave a Reply