All the best flavor and texture of your favorite banana bread, with chocolate in the batter AND chocolate chips throughout. These muffins only require one bowl, and are so quick and easy to whip up.
There is fierce debate among banana bread lovers about whether banana bread should ever contain chocolate, and I am STRONGLY in the camp of yes, it most definitely should.
And while I've been adding chocolate chips to my banana bread for years, I'm going full throttle here and making the batter chocolate, too.
These are so good. All the comforting flavor of banana bread, with TONS of chocolate in every bite. Kind of like a banana brownie in muffin form. They're a really great breakfast, snack, or even dessert!
And since these only require one bowl to mix up, they could not be easier.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container or plastic bag for up to 3 days at room temperature, or up to a week in the fridge. If you refrigerate them, keep in mind that the consistency is best at room temperature or warmed up!
I love freezing muffins for later! Makes me feel like I am very on top of my breakfast game.
To freeze, cool baked muffins completely, then transfer to a freezer bag. These will keep for up to 3 months. Leave on counter for 2-3 hours to thaw from frozen.
SERVE THESE WITH:
- Fresh fruit
- A good spread of soft + salty butter
- Peanut butter
- This fruit salad
- Ice cream (if you're doing dessert...or for breakfast, I won't judge)
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 3-4 very ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with liners or grease well.In a large bowl, beat the peeled bananas to mash well. Add the butter and mix to combine. Stir in the baking soda, salt, and sugar. Mix in the egg and vanilla. Add the flour and cocoa powder and stir to combine. Fold in chocolate chips. Divide evenly between the prepared muffin cups and bake 18-22 minutes, until baked through. Cool in muffin tin for 5 minutes before inverting to remove.