A really easy and delicious version of Italian sausage and peppers roasted on sheet pans in the oven! A splash of white wine added toward the end of baking makes the most delicious sauce.
Ever the fan of sheet pan dinners, I love the hands-off cooking and minimal dish-dirtying. Here is one that's unfussy enough for the weeknight, without sacrificing flavor or even presentation!
This Italian sausage and peppers recipe is a really fun way to change up the usual Italian fare. It has so much Italian flavor from the sausage and oregano, and the white wine added toward the end of roasting makes this feel so sophisticated. Can I say this about a sheet pan meal? It's fancy.
Not to mention, the white wine makes the most delicious sauce that's perfect drizzled over pastas, polenta, or whatever you're eating this with!
Just a word of appreciation for the vegetables here because I think they're what usually suffer in a sheet pan meal. They are good here! Not overcooked, not dried out, not overly cooked. The peppers and onions are a perfect tender-crisp with so much flavor. And roasted grape tomato I AM CONVINCED is the best form of grape tomato.
How to Make Sheet Pan Sausage + Peppers
Toss the onion, peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and olive oil together on a large sheet pan and spread into a single layer.
On a second sheet pan, toss the sausages with more olive oil. Place both pans in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes.
Starting the veggies and sausages out on separate pans is important for even cooking. Don't try to cram them all on the same pan!
Add the tomatoes to the veggie pan and toss to combine. Nestle the sausages into the veggies and pour the wine over top. Roast 25-30 minutes more. Top with basil and parmesan, and serve hot.
Use Italian sausage here! You'll want 8-10 links, or 2 to 2 1/4 pounds sausage. I like to get a mix of sweet Italian and hot Italian, but you can get whatever you like for your desired spice level. Sweet, mild, and hot will all work here - you just want to be sure it's Italian.
Any color bell pepper will work here! You'll want six peppers total. I like to use a combination of red/orange/yellow bell peppers for this recipe.
What to Serve with Sausage + Peppers
One of my favorite things about this dish is that it is good with such a variety of sides. Which means you can swap out the sides and basically have a whole new meal. Sides that are good here include:
- Bread (serve bread on the side OR slice the sausages and have this on sandwiches)
- Smashed potatoes
More Sausage Recipes:
- Weeknight Cassoulet (sausage + white beans, possibly my favorite meal of all time!)
- Kale + Sausage Minestrone Soup
- Sheet Pan Kielbasa + Veggies
Italian Sheet Pan Sausage and Peppers
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 6 medium bell peppers, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 - 2 ¼ pounds Italian sausage links (8-10 links) (see note)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup pinot grigio
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degreesToss together onions, peppers, garlic, salt, pepper, oregano, and 1/4 cup of the olive oil on a large sheet pan. Spread into an even layer. On a second sheet pan, toss the sausages with the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Arrange in a single layer. Place pans in oven for 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes to the pan with the veggies and toss to combine. Transfer sausages to the veggie sheet pan and nestle into a single layer as much as you can. Pour the wine over the sausages and veggies. Roast 25-30 minutes more. Top with basil and parmesan, and serve hot.
Adapted from Modern Comfort Food.
Leave a Reply