A really simple recipe for a big batch of homemade hot chocolate mix! Keep it on hand all season so you can whip up a cup of cocoa whenever the mood strikes.
We love hot chocolate at my house. Of all of the seasonal beverages, it is far and away our favorite. Here is a hot chocolate mix that is super chocolatey, not too sweet, and really, really creamy. This is somewhat of a bulk recipe, so it will give you a lot of mix!
People think I'm exaggerating when I tell them how big a difference keeping a bulk hot chocolate mix on hand makes in the effort to make winter more enjoyable. Having hot chocolate every day is a highlight for everyone involved!
This mix has just 5 ingredients:
- Powdered milk - Helps to make the hot chocolate creamy, gives it more of a milky flavor, makes it delicious even with water.
- Powdered sugar - Key to a homemade mix that combines well and dissolves nicely in liquid.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder - Just straight cocoa. Here's where all the chocolate flavor comes from, so use a good one!
- Cornstarch - Makes it creamy and prevents the dry mix from clumping.
- Salt - Balances out the sweetness.
VERY CONVENIENTLY, this recipe uses two boxes of powdered milk, a 1 pound bag of powdered sugar, and an 8 ounce container of cocoa, which means there is very little measuring to do!
You can use this mix with milk (any kind you like!), or water. It will be creamiest with milk, but - because of the powdered milk and cornstarch - is even creamy with water!
I make this with whole milk if we want a deluxe hot chocolate experience, but for just every day drinking after coming in from outside, I heat water in our teapot and mix a couple servings in a glass Pyrex, then divide between espresso cups (an ideal size for toddlers!). I add some cool water to any kids' cups so they're not too hot. Super quick and easy!
1/3 cup mix and 2/3 cup liquid is a good place to start. For an extra intense and creamy hot chocolate, use equal parts mix and liquid.
One of my favorite things about having a big batch of mix is being able to easily adjust how chocolatey the hot chocolate is. No more being restrained by the contents of a packet!
How to get smooth hot chocolate from a homemade mix
Homemade hot chocolate mix's greatest flaw is its tendency to clump when mixed with liquid. The trick to avoiding clumping and getting a perfectly smooth hot chocolate is to first make a smooth slurry before adding all of the liquid.
Start with the hot chocolate mix in a mug and add just enough hot liquid to cover. Whisk vigorously until no clumps remain. Whisk in the remaining liquid.
Toppings and add-ins
For an extra special hot chocolate. Would also be fun as a hot cocoa bar!
Toppings: whipped cream, homemade marshmallows, mini marshmallows.
Add-ins: candy canes, rumchata/baileys/peppermint schnapps, cinnamon/cayenne.
Bulk Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 (9.6 ounce) boxes powdered milk
- 1 (1 pound) bag powdered sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Whisk together all ingredients in a large bowl. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.To make a single serving of hot chocolate, place 1/3 cup mix into a mug. Heat 2/3 cup milk or water. Add just enough liquid to the mug to cover the mix and whisk vigorously until smooth. Whisk in remaining liquid.