A Korean BBQ-inspired beef bowl that's made with ground beef and so easy to make at home! You can have this on the table in under 30 minutes.
Let me present to you the ideal weeknight meal: ground beef that's browned and then coated in a sweet and savory sauce, served with rice and thinly-sliced veggies. It's customizable (AKA, everyone gets what they want), easy to prep ahead of time, and even if nothing is prepped ahead, it can still be ready in under 30 minutes.
Korean BBQ is all the rage these days, and here is a version that's so easy to make at home! Using ground beef makes it quick. Plus, more surface area for all that delicious sauce.
It comes together so fast, and always satisfies a craving for Asian food. Plus, build-your-own bowl nights are FUN.
The sauce is what MAKES this beef! It's sweet, savory, and slightly spicy, with so much flavor from the fresh garlic and ginger.
The sauce is added to the beef during the last couple minutes of cooking and glazes onto it in such a satisfying way. (All while smelling so delicious.)
It's easy enough to whip up the sauce as the beef is browning, but if you'd prefer, you can make it up to 24 hours ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until ready to use.
The star of the show! Ground beef is what makes this so quick and easy. I usually stick with 85% lean, but buy what you like! The excess fat should be drained off here so the consistency of the sauce isn't altered.
One of the best things about these bowls is how versatile they are. You can change up the toppings and it will feel like a whole new meal. Some of our favorites are:
- Raw, thinly sliced veggies (cucumber, radish, carrot, bell pepper, jalapeño, and green onion are all good options)
- Stir fried or steamed veggies
- Marinated kale
- These quick-pickled red onions
- Thinly sliced pineapple
I also should tell you that this instant pot white rice is the easiest way to cook rice and it turns out perfectly every time. Start it before you start cooking the beef and it should all be ready at the same time!
Korean Beef Bowls
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sliced green onion
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- For serving: prepared rice, thinly-sliced fresh veggies see note
- Whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, green onion, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, ginger, and garlic in a small bowl.Brown the beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking up as it cooks. Once no pink remains (about 5 minutes), drain excess fat and stir in the sauce. Cook for another 2 minutes, until beef is cooked through and sauce is simmering. Serve over rice with thinly sliced veggies.