Hear me when I say I have nothing against boxed brownies. They actually are a staple on my grocery list.
Is this a weekly grocery list?, you ask. Yes. Because a typical week in our household involves making and consuming a batch of brownies in a matter of days, and I see nothing wrong with this.
Even when it isn’t on the list, brownie mix always makes it into my cart. Why? Because it’s nice to have something on hand just in case we find ourselves needing to throw together a quick and easy dessert with minimal effort and no extra errands.
I know I made it sound like I buy these for company, but really they’re for us.
But also, if you’re coming over, we’re probably having brownies.
BUT YOU GUYS. After years of regular consumption of boxed brownies, I learned that there are super simple alterations to the recipe on the box that make this near-perfect dessert COMPLETELY PERFECT. Excuse the yelling, but the only thing that excites me more than easy spruced-up mixes is a chewy, rich, chocolatey brownie.
These simple changes to the recipe on the box include:
- An extra egg! This is key for a chewy brownie. BUT. Whether or not it’s “extra” depends on the mix you’re using – some call for one egg, some call for two. You will be using two eggs for this recipe.
- Use coffee instead of water. You won’t be able to tell there’s coffee in the final product, but coffee makes chocolate taste even more chocolatey! It really is amazing. If, however, you don’t have coffee on hand OR don’t want to use coffee because you’re feeding these to children and are fearful of what it could do to nap and/or bedtime (I get it), feel free to sub milk or heavy cream. This makes mixes taste homemade.
- Add vanilla. This is always a good choice.
- Add chocolate chips. Like, a lot of chocolate chips. We were all already doing this to our boxed brownies anyway, right?
Best Ever Boxed Brownies
Use these simple changes to the recipe on your brownie mix box to make brownies so rich and chocolatey, people will think they are from scratch!
- 1 (18.3 ounce) box brownie mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup prepared coffee (see note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- Combine the mix, eggs, oil, coffee, and vanilla in a large bowl. Fold in the chocolate chips. Transfer mixture to the 9×13 pan. Mixture will be thick, so press into corners if needed! Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool completely.
You can substitute milk or heavy cream for the coffee if you don’t have any or prefer not to use coffee. The end result will still be a rich and ultra-chocolatey brownie!